A large car park is located at the bottom of 55 steps up to the castle. This is operated by the local council and is usually very busy. Charges apply. There are many car parks dotted around the town, and a Park and Ride scheme.
Food and Drink
Vending machine sells hot and cold drinks, sweets and chocolate.
You are welcome to bring a picnic. Some seats, but no tables, are available outside.
Gift shop selling a range of English Heritage gifts including wine, books, costumes, toys and stationery.
No toilet facilities on site. The nearest is a five minute walk to Coppergate Shopping Centre.
No dogs allowed. Assistance dogs are welcome.
The mound is the only grassed area, no climbing allowed on the mound itself.
- Audio Tour Availability
- No audio tour available.
- Baby Changing Facilities
- No toilet facilities on site. The nearest is a five minute walk to Coppergate Shopping Centre.
- Pushchairs Allowed
- Pushchairs allowed (but beware steep steps).
- Family Learning
- Children can view a model of the castle and also our 'Children's Book of Castles'. Children's trails run in half term. Time Travellers events run through the summer holidays. Please see the Events page for details.
- Interpretation for Children
- Children can view a model of the castle and also our 'Childrens Book of Castles'. Childrens trails run in half term. Time Travellers events run through the summer holidays.
Please be aware
Wall walk - this is fenced.
Commercial Photography and Filming
English Heritage welcomes all photographers to our sites and we hope you will share your pictures with us on Flickr and Facebook.
We do have some restrictions at certain locations, so if photography is your main reason for visiting, please call the site ahead of your visit to check if any parts of the site are restricted.
We are keen to promote the use of our sites to location managers. If you are interested please go to (Filming Locations) for more information and contacts.