ADELPHI, The

Plaque erected in 1952 by London County Council at The Adelphi Terrace, Charing Cross, London WC2N 6BJ, City of Westminster

Detail view of stone plaque inlaid into stone wall View from Adelphit Terrace with plaque and street name sign in foreground, trees and buildings on Savoy Place in background

All images © English Heritage

Profession

Architect, Artist, Book Collector, Opera Impresario and Hotelier, Theatre Impresario, Actor, Playwright, Poet, Novelist

Category

Applied Arts, Architecture and Building, Collecting and Antiquities, Commerce and Business, Fine Arts, Historical Sites, Literature, Music and Dance, Theatre and Film

Inscription

THE ADELPHI THIS BUILDING STANDS ON THE SITE OF ADELPHI TERRACE BUILT BY THE BROTHERS ADAM IN 1768-1774. AMONG THE OCCUPANTS OF THE TERRACE WERE TOPHAM AND LADY DIANA BEAUCLERK, DAVID GARRICK, RICHARD D'OYLY CARTE, THOMAS HARDY & GEORGE BERNARD SHAW. THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE AND THE SAVAGE CLUB ALSO HAD THEIR PREMISES HERE

Material

Stone

Nearby Blue Plaques

Nearby Blue Plaques


'step into englands story