From mighty medieval Norman fortress to luxurious Tudor mansion, learn about the castle's time as a Civil War stronghold, before eventually becoming a romantic Victorian ruin. This impressive site documents over 900 years of English history.
free school visits
We offer free entry to qualifying learning groups. By booking a free education visit you can lead your own visit in your own way. We also have plenty of online resources to help you support and follow up your learning plan.
Facilities for Learning Groups
- Free site visit to help you plan your school trip.
- Large pay and display car park (not managed by English Heritage) 20 metres from entrance. Meters accept coins and cards.
- Visitor Centre sells extensive range of English Heritage gifts and themed souvenirs including a castle themed gifts, maps, books and Yorkshire clothing.
- Male, female and disabled toilets.
- Imaginative hands-on exhibition in the ground floor of the Tudor mansion range. Displaying a fascinating array of finds from Civil War cannon balls to early tableware, this exhibition explores the social and domestic, as well as the military, aspects of the fortress..
- 20% discount on the official EH site guidebook.