The world-famous Stonehenge has inspired people for millennia. Bring your school group and discover a fantastic range of cross-curricular options designed for every key stage.
I found Stonehenge was a very enjoyable day. It made me think about Stonehenge even more.
- KS1: Significant historical events, people/ places in their own locality
- KS2: Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age
- KS3: An aspect or site in local history dating from a period before 1066
- KS4: OCR Specification B 2c. Introduction to history around us
- KS1: Music, Geography
- KS2: Music, Design & Technology, Geography, English
- KS3: English, Design & Technology
- KS4-5: Business and Enterprise, Heritage Management, History
free school visits
Studying late Neolithic hunter gatherers and Bronze Age religion? We challenge you to find a better site to help you cover the topic than the world famous monument that is Stonehenge! It’s a unique opportunity, whatever your area of study, for your class to explore the most outstanding prehistoric monument in the British Isles. We offer free self-led visits for you to explore on your own with your class, or let us help you bring the stories of the stone circle to life on an expert-led visit which are suitable for a range of key stages and topics.
Use our Free Resources to supplement your self-led visit, as well as our free downloadable resources, which can be found at the bottom of this page:
- Education Film: by students from Wiltshire College
- Stand or Fall: Interactive Stonehenge Game
- Education Partners of Stonehenge
- Stonehenge Through Time: interactive timeline bookable to use at Stonehenge
- Feast! Food at Stonehenge: A Discovery Chest bookable to use at Stonehenge
Expert-Led School Visits
Let us help you inspire your students with our hands-on expert Discovery Visits, led by one of our experts and great value for up to 30 students.
- STONES AND BONES: STONEHENGE IN ITS LANDSCAPE (KS1-3): An interactive guided tour of the stones, recreating a burial and investigating replica artefacts to uncover the fascinating history of the site. Duration: 2 hours
- NEOLITHIC LIFE AT STONEHENGE (KS2-3): Becoming archaeologists discovering Stonehenge through variety of models and artefacts to answer key questions. Followed by hands-on activities at the Neolithic houses from fence building to rope making. Duration: 2 hours
- MYTHS AND LEGENDS WITH LEGO® STORYSTARTER (KS2): Discover a world of myths and legends at the stone circle. In groups, the class will create their own myths using LEGO® StoryStarter kits. Duration: 2 hours
- THE BUSINESS OF HERITAGE AND TOURISM (KS4-5): Find out what it takes to manage a busy heritage site. Led by a member of the Stonehenge management team, this interactive tour will lead you through all aspects of running a heritage site as a tourist attraction and a business. Duration: 1 hour
facilities for learning groups
- EDUCATION ROOM: Our education room is available for either a morning or afternoon slot. This space has its own toilets, bag storage and an interactive whiteboard. Please note, it’s mainly used for our expert-led sessions.
- ACTIVITIES: Free Explorer Backpacks full of hands-on activities can be booked in advance of your visit. These include activities to do at the stones and in the wider landscape. A free interactive timeline, Stonehenge Through Time, is also available to book. This resource focuses on the Neolithic period through to present day; this helps children to understand how the Neolithic period compares in time to other historical events. We have teacher resources to support the students learning for the permanent exhibition and special exhibition which is Feast! Food at Stonehenge.
- LUNCH AND REFRESHMENTS: Packed lunches are available to order in advance at £4.50 per child, with a free staff lunch with every 10 packed lunches ordered. Please contact the Bookings Team for more information. There’s also plenty of picnic space for students to have their lunches. Unfortunately we do not have any indoor space for lunch.
- PARKING: Free coach parking is available.
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Please check out our education terms and conditions to see if you qualify for a free education visit.
Below are information packs, risk assessments and downloadable teacher resources to support you with your visit to Stonehenge.