Uley Long Barrow is a partly reconstructed Neolithic chambered mound. It is 37 metres long and overlooks the Severn Valley. Known locally as Hetty Pegler's Tump, after Hester Pegler who owned the land in the 17th century.
The barrow as seen today is largely the result of the excavation and reconstruction undertaken by Dr John Thurnham in 1854 and subsequent repairs in 1871, 1891 and 1906.
Managed by Gloucestershire County Council.
Read more about the history of the barrow.
Plan a Great Day Out
Facilities, shops and food outlets can be found a short drive away in Stroud.
Hetty Peglar's Tump is one of four Gloucestershire long barrows in the care of English Heritage which make up a circular tour. Nympsfield Long Barrow, Belas Knap and Windmill Tump Long Barrow are all fine examples of Gloucestershire Neolithic history.
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic buildings, monuments and places - from world-famous prehistoric sites to grand medieval castles, from Roman forts on the edges of empire to a Cold War bunker. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million people each year. The English Heritage Trust is a charity, no. 1140351, and a company, no. 0744722, registered in England.
- 66% Self-generated income
- 20% One off capital grant
- 14% Government funding