Get Hands-On at Kenwood
There's lot of fun stuff for families to enjoy at Kenwood. Look out for Mac and his paw prints showing family activities throughout the house. Start your visit in our dedicated family zone in the Orangery.
The Orangery has recently undergone a fantastic makeover. One of the exciting new features in the Orangery is the dressing up costumes which will give children – and adults! – the chance to transform into some of Kenwood's most famous residents, including Dido Belle and Lord Mansfield. A giant picture frame has also been installed in the Orangery where families are encouraged to take a 'selfie' in their costumes.
New children's games have also been introduced to the Orangery, including jigsaws, parkland themed building blocks and tea sets. A comfortable seating area has been added and new interpretation explains the history of area to families. There's also the popular interactive dolls house for children to play with too.
Explorer Backpacks and Mac's Kenwood Trails
Our explorer backpacks are perfect for families with under-fives. Pick up to five discovery tools to take with you as you explore Kenwood House together. Take a pair of binoculars and go on a lion hunt or try our handheld colour filter to see how the paintings change before your very eyes.
For families with children between 5 and 11 years old, Mac's Kenwood trails are the perfect guide to discover Kenwood stories in the house and estate. Do you have the manners fit for an 18th century lord and lady? Can you spot what's special about the bridge over Thousand Pound Pond? Collect the stamps and claim your own Mac sticker.
Events for All the Family
Our family events programme offers free seasonal activities for everyone all year round. See our events page for information on all of our events at Kenwood.
On the first Sunday of the month our volunteers run creative workshops to bring Kenwood's world famous paintings to life. Families get to work together to try out different types of art and craft whilst exploring the house and finding out more about its collections. £1, no booking required.
Fridays during term time, families with under 5's can join in our craft making, storytelling, and sing-alongs. £2, no booking required.
On the last Sunday of the month discover the stories behind Kenwood's collection with our interactive storytelling sessions for families. Multi-sensory and hands-on, they are a great way to find out about the lives of the people in our paintings. Sessions are free but places are limited.
Need to know
- Baby changing facilities and family toilets are located in the Service Wing.
- There is a buggy park just off the pathway as you walk down towards the front of Kenwood House from Hampstead Lane. Locks are available to secure your buggy. Please ask one of our team when you arrive.
- Baby slings and hip rests are available to borrow. Please ask one of our team if you would like to use one during your visit.
- The Brew House café offers high chairs as well as child-sized portions and a healthy children's meal pack. Wooden cutlery is also available.
- Picnics are welcome. Bring one along to make it a full day out and enjoy Kenwood's extensive estate.