We want to do everything we can to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on 4 January, we have made immediate changes to the opening arrangements of our sites.
We are keeping a selection of free-to-enter and paid sites open for local people to use for exercise. All have plenty of outdoor space for safe social distancing. Visits to paid sites must be booked in advance.
We hope to be able to reopen all our sites in the near future, and we are currently taking bookings for February half-term and beyond. We will share our latest plans on this page and let you know if anything changes.
Thank you for your understanding, patience and support.
Open Sites Near You
We are keeping a selection of sites open for local people to use for exercise during the lockdown period. All these sites have plenty of outdoor space for safe social distancing. As before, visits to staffed sites must be booked in advance and numbers will be limited. Please stay local, bear in mind the government’s latest advice, and be aware that you should not travel outside of your local area.
London and South
Getting through this year together
We want to reassure everyone that our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers.
We have additional Covid-secure safety measures in place including social distancing, enhanced cleaning and limits on visitor numbers.
We are enormously grateful for the support our Members and visitors have given us throughout this difficult year.
What to expect from your visit
We’ve introduced new measures for everyone’s safety. Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history happened, and you’ll still be given a warm welcome by our friendly staff and volunteers.
- By law, there are restrictions on who you can visit with. Please check the government guidance or our frequently asked questions.
- Face coverings are mandatory in all our indoor public spaces, including takeaway cafés and tearooms. We won’t be able to provide you with a face covering, so please come prepared.
- Our staff have been trained in hygiene and social distancing, and we’ve made sure they have the necessary PPE.
- Some sites will be using one way systems and markers on the ground to help visitors keep a safe distance.
- You’ll find new welcome information and site-specific signposts to guide you on your visit.
- We’re carrying out more frequent cleaning.
- Protective screens have been put up at some desks and tills.
- We’ve made hand sanitiser available for you to use.
- There are new social distancing barriers, particularly around toilets and admission areas.
- To support NHS Test and Trace, we're now legally required to record your contact details and the date of your visit, including the use of our cafés and tearooms. Find out more.
At some sites there may be different routes to follow, and certain parts of sites might not be open. We’ve detailed key changes on the individual site pages of our website, so do please check before you visit.
Preparing for your visit
Once you choose your arrival slot online, you’ll receive your booking confirmation by email. Just bring this with you, either on your mobile device or as a print out. The email will contain a barcode that our team will scan when you arrive.
Without a valid booking confirmation, we won’t be able to let you in. If you're a Member, remember to bring your Membership Card. Please see our FAQs for more information.
We want everyone to be able to enjoy our sites safely, so please:
- Don’t visit if you or anyone in our household/support or childcare bubble are self-isolating or displaying symptoms of Covid-19
- Stay in your local area (i.e. in your own village, town or part of your city)
- Follow government and site guidelines on social distancing and hygiene
- Queue alone if you can
- Keep an eye on children
- Remember to bring a face covering with you. You won’t be able to enter any of our indoor public spaces, including free-to-enter sites, if you don’t have a face covering. We won’t be able to give you a face covering, so please come prepared so you don’t miss out. We have a range of English Heritage face coverings which can be purchased via our online shop.
Still have questions?
Take a look at our answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about booking your visit, paying for your visit, and the on-site experience you can expect when you arrive for your visit.Read our FAQs