Plan The Best Summer in History
Great summer days out are waiting at hundreds of historic sites across the country – from glorious Victorian gardens to remote Roman forts, and from mighty medieval castles to grand country houses. There’s never been a better time to plan your summer adventure.
You'll still need to book your visit in advance – just follow the links on the page of the site you want to visit.
We’ll let you know if our opening arrangements have to change, and your booking will be automatically refunded. You won’t need to contact us.
Find a site near you and book your tickets now.
Preparing for your visit
Once you choose your arrival slot online, you’ll receive your booking confirmation by email. Just bring this with you, either on your mobile device or as a print out. The email will contain a barcode that our team will scan when you arrive.
Without a valid booking confirmation, we won’t be able to let you in. If you're a Member, remember to bring your Membership Card. Please see our FAQs for more information.
We want everyone to be able to enjoy our sites safely, so please:
- Don’t visit if you or anyone in our household/support or childcare bubble are self-isolating or displaying symptoms of Covid-19
- Please bear in mind the government’s latest guidelines on travel when planning your visit
- Follow government and site guidelines on social distancing and hygiene
- Queue alone if you can
- Keep an eye on children
- Remember to bring a face covering with you. You'll need to wear one in all our indoor spaces including free sites, modern and historic indoor buildings, and our indoor shops, cafés and tearooms. You'll also need one when using our on-site visitor transport. We won’t be able to give you a face covering, so please come prepared so you don’t miss out. We have a range of English Heritage face coverings which can be purchased via our online shop.
Keeping everyone safe
We want to reassure everyone that our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers.
We have additional Covid-secure safety measures in place including social distancing, enhanced cleaning and limits on visitor numbers.
We are enormously grateful for the support our Members and visitors have given us throughout this difficult year.
What to expect from your visit
We’ve introduced new measures for everyone’s safety. Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history happened, and you’ll still be given a warm welcome by our friendly staff and volunteers.
- By law, there are restrictions on who you can visit with. Please check the government guidance or our frequently asked questions.
- Remember to bring a face covering with you. You'll need to wear one in all our indoor spaces including free sites, modern and historic indoor buildings, and our indoor shops, cafés and tearooms. You'll also need one when using our on-site visitor transport.We won’t be able to provide you with a face covering, so please come prepared.
- Our staff have been trained in hygiene and social distancing, and we’ve made sure they have the necessary PPE.
- Some sites will be using one way systems and markers on the ground to help visitors keep a safe distance.
- You’ll find new welcome information and site-specific signposts to guide you on your visit.
- We’re carrying out more frequent cleaning.
- Protective screens have been put up at some desks and tills.
- We’ve made hand sanitiser available for you to use.
- There are new social distancing barriers, particularly around toilets and admission areas.
- To support NHS Test and Trace, we're now legally required to record your contact details and the date of your visit, including the use of our cafés and tearooms. Find out more.
At some sites there may be different routes to follow, and certain parts of sites might not be open. We’ve detailed key changes on the individual site pages of our website, so do please check before you visit.
Still have questions?
Take a look at our answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about booking your visit, paying for your visit, and the on-site experience you can expect when you arrive for your visit.Read our FAQs