05 February 2013

Conference Speakers Announced for Disability History: Voices and Sources

A one day conference jointly organised by London Metropolitan Archives and English Heritage from 10.00 am - 4.30 pm on Friday 22 March 2013.

Archives and historic buildings offer important resources for uncovering the histories of disabled people. Come and share experiences with a range of research projects. Discuss ways in which disabled people are documenting their own histories.

Photograph of a section of a cream coloured stone wall showing detail of a relief carving of a pair of hands passing over the pages of a braille book.  The hands are carved in a simplified style typical of the 1930s.

Detail from the exterior of the former Royal School for the Indigent Blind, Hardman Street, Liverpool showing a stone relief carving of hands reading braille. The school designed by A.H. Holme was built in 1850 and is a Listed Grade II. This detail is from an extension built in the 1930s.
© English Heritage DP039388

Conference Programme

A full programme and speaker list is provided in the document below.

Venue

The event will be held at London Metropolitan Archives, 40, Northampton Road, Clerkenwell, London EC1R 0HB.

The venue is fully accessible. BSL signers will be available throughout the day.

Photograph of the interior of a very richly decorated Victorian private theatre with a stage at one end surrounded by painted and gilt proscenium arch with mythological figures and plant decoration.  Above the stage is a magnificent timbered roof open to the rafters with ornate cross beams and decorative pendant light fittings.

Interior of the Entertainment Hall at Normansfield Hospital, Kingston Road, Richmond upon Thames. Normansfield was built in 1866 as a private sanatorium for children with learning difficulties by Dr John Langdon Down who originally identified “Down’s Syndrome”. This private theatre for the children was added in 1877-9. Designed by Rowland Plumbe, and richly decorated in Aesthetic Movement style, it is a perfect miniature version of a London commercial theatre and is Listed at Grade II*.
© Crown copyright.EH BB018877

Booking

This is a free event but booking is essential as places are limited. Please download the booking form below.

If you require assistance to make your booking or want to check access details please contact London Metropolitan Archives on:
Phone: 020 7332 3851
E-mail: ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk

A black and white photograph taken in 1989 showing an interior view down the length of a plainly designed corridor with windows regularly spaced on the left side.  The corridor roof is curved  into a shallow arch and built in a pattern of hexagonal honeycomb cells.  The corridor is so long that it continues completely straight to the vanishing point of the picture.

Interior view of the Spine Corridor in the North Range at Friern Hospital, Listed Grade II, taken in 1989. Built 1849-51 as the second Middlesex County Pauper Lunatic Asylum, from designs by S.W.Daukes and officially opened by Prince Albert, it was better known to Londoners as Colney Hatch Asylum for most of its history. It was designed on a vast scale (housing almost 2,000 people) and reputed to have one of the longest corridors in Britain.
© Crown copyright.EH BB92/24349

Alternative formats

If you require an alternative accessible version of any of the documents on this page (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact our Customer Services Department:
Telephone: 0370 333 1181
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
E-mail: customers@english-heritage.org.uk

RELATED DOCUMENTS

Disability in Time and Place

The new English Heritage resource on 1,000 years of disability history as preserved in the historic environment launched on 5th December 2012 at www.english-heritage.org.uk/disabilityhistory