Kiln Pit Hill, Shotley, Consett, County Durham, DH8 9SJ
A Georgian church perched high in a hilltop
Show full description
Perched on Grey Mare Hill (293 metres high), St Andrew's was built in 1769 on the site of a much older church.
Inside, it is a simple and appealing cruciform church, with sturdy stone ribs over the crossing.
As well as some fine 18th-century headstones in the churchyard, there is also the fantastic domed structure of the Hopper Mausoleum, erected in 1752, with obelisks above and statues in carved niches on the sides.
Opening times on the CCT website
Bywell, Stocksfield, NE43 7AD
A church with a massive Saxon tower and colourful interior
Bywell was once a thriving market town beside the Tyne, though little now remains except the castle, a Medieval market cross, the Hall, and two churches dating from Saxon times.
The tall tower of St Andrew’s is a magnificent example of Saxon building. Dating from about 850, it has massive walls 5 metres thick, clearly intended for defence; but it is much more than a defensive structure. It is built from a lovely mixture of cream, yellow, brown and even red sandstone and has the small rounded windows characteristic of the time.
The body of the church dates from the 13th-century and was considerably enlarged and restored in 1871. Most of the interior dates from this Victorian restoration, including the mosaic floor of the sanctuary and the glittering reredos.
There is very fine Victorian stained glass, some by the notable designer William Wailes, who is buried at the other Bywell church, St Peter’s.
Inside the church, and in some places set into the outside walls, are magnificent early Medieval grave slabs. They have lovely bold carving, with emblems denoting the status of the person they commemorate swords, shields, a hunting horn, shears and a book.
Email a friend
Tyne and Wear
Redcar and Cleveland
More Properties In North East