You will get much more from your visit to Stonehenge - especially if your time is limited - if you plan ahead. We want you to make the very most of your trip however much time you have.
Before You Arrive
- Entrance to Stonehenge is managed through timed tickets and advance booking is strongly recommended. Book your e-tickets online and print off your tickets to avoid delays on arrival
- You may like to download an audio tour to your smart phone (Android or iPhone) before your visit so that you can listen to this on your own device when you are at Stonehenge. Please note, this is currently in English only. Free audio tours are available on site in 10 languages
- Leave plenty of time for your journey to Stonehenge, especially at peak summer weekends when roads into the West Country can be busy.Your timed ticket gives you a 30 minute slot in which to arrive, although early or late arrivals will be accommodated as soon as possible
- Check the weather forecast – don’t forget your wellies if rain is forecast so you can still explore the landscape!
We have put together some ideas for how to spend two hours, a half day or a full day at Stonehenge. Why not have a look and see which one suits you best?
Don't forget that you can explore the World Heritage Site of Stonehenge at your own pace, in your own way and in whatever order you like.
Two hours or less
On Arriving at Stonehenge
- As you approach Stonehenge, follow the signs to the visitor centre, located 2.1kms (1.5 miles) from the Stone Circle at Airman's Corner.
- When you arrive, show your pre-printed e-ticket. Pick up a free orientation leaflet which gives a handy snapshot guide to the whole site.
- Collect a free audio tour (10 languages and family tour available).
- You may also want to pick up a guidebook at this point.
Before You Leave
- Visit the shop to browse for a wide range of souvenirs, clothing, books and gifts, many made in the UK exclusively for Stonehenge.
- Enjoy a hot or cold drink, soup, salad, sandwich, cake or other locally-made sweet or savoury delicacy. Our light and airy café, has lovely views to the west. You can choose to sit inside or outdoors, or take something away with you for your onward journey.