While the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital for Women might easily be included in the pages describing women's hospitals, its significance as a hospital staffed exclusively by women doctors is far greater. This was a landmark institution in terms of women's admittance to professional life, as well as in terms of health care.
The hospital was opened in 1890 as the New Hospital for Women, and was the first purpose-built hospital devoted to the treatment of female patients by women doctors. The foundation stone had been laid by the Princess of Wales in 1889; Brydon exhibited drawings of the building at the 1890 Royal Academy. Elizabeth Garrett Anderson (1836-1917) had led the movement for women doctors, and had founded a hospital ward at her dispensary in Marylebone in 1874.
The Euston Road hospital combined teaching hospital provision (it initially had 42 beds) with premises for the Women's Medical Institute, situated on the ground floor of the frontage block. This is of particular interest as it is architecturally the most impressive surviving part. It has a three-storey tower topped with a weather-boarded superstructure supporting an ogee roof. The central chimney stack bears a cut brick cartouche within a surround, reading FOUNDED 1866, and a long framed inscription panel.