Our grants are an essential part of our work to protect the nation’s heritage. You can find out about all the ways in which this work of protection is carried out in the National Heritage Protection Plan.
The grants we offer are intended for:
- People who own or manage individual historic sites and need to repair them or understand them better;
- Local authorities with historic sites in their care;
- Organisations who want to encourage better understanding, management and conservation of the historic environment in its many and varied forms.
In all cases we expect to have a dialogue with the applicant. Please note that we cannot grant aid work which has begun before a written grant offer has been made and accepted.
We will take account of our Grant Priorities in deciding which applications we will support.
We will assess all applications to establish:
- Whether there is a financial need for grant, including whether there is a lack of alternative public or charitable funding;
- Whether the work or activity proposed is required within two years;
- The scope for long-term viability of any activity or historic asset supported.
We will also take account of any wider benefits your project will provide.