Why Volunteer with us
As an English Heritage volunteer you can:
- Meet new people
- Be part of a friendly team
- Learn new skills
- Gain valuable work-related experience
- Receive training and support
- Indulge your passion
- Engage with your local heritage
Our Volunteering Policy
We are committed to volunteering and individual volunteers, and make every effort to ensure that all volunteers are treated consistently, equally and fairly. Read our Volunteer Policy for more detail about what volunteers can expect from English Heritage, and what English Heritage expects from its volunteers.
What you can expect from english heritage
- A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
- To be treated fairly and with respect.
- Recognition and appreciation for your contribution.
- A full induction and training programme with on-going support.
- A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering.
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits.
- A certificate for your personal profile to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers.
- You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.
If you have queries or questions about volunteering, you might find the answer here.
- What are the benefits of volunteering?
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills and strengthen your CV. You can receive a certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage to show future employers or further education.
There is also a Volunteer Pass allowing free access to English Heritage properties. The pass is available after a satisfactory period of four months and the completion of 60 hours of voluntary service.
- Who volunteers for English Heritage?
We welcome people from all walks of life, no matter how much or how little time people are able to give us. Meet some of our volunteers and find out what they say about their experiences.
- How much time do I have to give?
The majority of our volunteering opportunities are for a few hours a week and continue on an ongoing basis, but we have a range of roles from full-time placements to one-off events. Full details of all our current vacancies can be found on the main volunteer page. Take a look at the different roles we have available to see how much time each role normally involves and choose the one that suits you best.
- I'm under 16, can I still volunteer?
The minimum age for volunteering at English Heritage is 16. There is no upper age limit to volunteering; a volunteer’s ability to complete a task or role will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Can I claim benefits while volunteering?
Yes. You are free to volunteer while you are receiving benefits as long as the work you do is unpaid, and you meet the rules of your benefit. You can find all the latest information about volunteering and benefits on the GOV.UK website.
- I am not a British national, can I volunteer in the UK?
There are no restrictions on people volunteering from the European Union. Volunteers from outside the EU (including refugees and asylum seekers) need to have an appropriate visa or confirmation that they are able to undertake work in this country.
- What skills and experience do I need?
The majority of our roles do not require any specific skills or experience. The skills and qualities we are looking for are always specified in the role description. Current roles are listed in volunteer opportunities. If our volunteering roles require you to have particular skills these will be clearly stated.
- What training and support will I be given?
Your volunteer manager will help to prepare and support you to fulfil your role. All volunteers have a staff member who they can go to for help and support. Often there are also more experienced volunteers to offer advice to new members of the team. You will also be provided with a Volunteer Handbook which gives practical information to help you in your role.
- Can I claim expenses?
Whilst as a volunteer you give your time for free, we do not expect you to be left out-of-pocket for any volunteering activity you carry out for English Heritage. You are able to claim reasonable travel expenses.
- Where can I volunteer?
You could volunteer in one of over 30 historic properties located across the UK. We also have volunteer opportunities at our head office in London as well as our regional offices.
- Do English Heritage offer work experience or internship opportunities?
English Heritage does not offer work experience or internships but we do offer a small number of work placement opportunities for those over 18 years of age. We also have many volunteer roles that can provide a great way to gain experience. Recruitment for all of these opportunities is done via our website where you will be required to apply for advertised roles using our registration form. All of these opportunities can be found by searching for them on the main volunteer page.
- How do I contact the volunteering team?
You can contact the volunteering team by email or by phone on 01793 414752. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of enquiries this may take up to 10 working days. Unfortunately we cannot respond to speculative enquiries. Current roles are listed on the main volunteering page.
Get in Touch
Email or call the volunteer team with any questions you want to ask.
Keep up to date with our latest news by following @EHVolunteering on Twitter
More about volunteering