50 metres from entrance, with disabled and family parking spaces. Charge payable refunded on admission. A new token system will be in place for visitors shortly. Additional (free) parking is available in Bolsover itself, including some just to the left of the Castle.
Food and Drink
There is a large café with lovely views of the Riding House. It serves hot and cold meals, sandwiches and soup. If you would like something lighter, we have delicious homemade cakes, hot and cold drinks. A vegetarian choice is available and we can make sandwiches to order if required.
A selection of ice-creams and sweets is also available in the Visitor Centre.
You are welcome to bring a picnic to enjoy in our large grassed, picnic area with its lovely view of the Riding House. Picnic benches provided.
Our shop sells a wide selection of English Heritage gifts, including jams and chutneys; toys and books; stationery and cards; heritage related collectables and much more!
Toilets, including toilets for those with limited mobility, are located in the Visitor Centre and next to the Riding House. Baby changing facilities available.
Dogs on leads welcome in the grounds only. No dogs allowed in the Little Castle. Assistance dogs welcome throughout the site.
There is a Discovery Centre in the stables with audio visual displays.
The 'Caesar' paintings commissioned by Cavendish and depicting Roman emperors and empresses, are exhibited in the Little Castle.
We have a fantastic family-friendly interactive exhibition in the Riding House stables which introduces the site and explores the legacy of William Cavendish, his passion for horses and his contribution to the modern art of dressage. Includes dressing-up clothes and a replica 17th century saddle children can sit on. See the model and film of the Little Castle, and find out about a lavish banquet held there for the king and queen in 1634.
Please note the timeline exhibition may be removed for weddings, please call the site in advance for details.
Small, sheltered walled garden with gentle fountain in its centre.
There is loads of room for children and families to run around and play, or to have a peaceful stroll. You are welcome to play ball games and fly kites but please do this away from the main buildings and castle itself.
- Audio Tour Availability
- Audio tour with hearing loop included in admission price (subject to availability at busy times and may not be available on event days). The tour covers the whole site, from the entrance right through the Little Castle.
- Baby Changing Facilities
- Toilets with baby changing facilities located in the visitors centre and next to the Riding House.
- Children's Audio Tour
- Child Sized Portions
- Two high chairs available in the cafe.
- Play Areas / Adventure Playground
- There is a large grassed area right outside the cafe for children to let off steam whilst adults enjoy a quiet cup of tea.
We have lots of space for children to run around in. You are welcome to play ball games and fly kites but please do this away from the main buildings and castle itself.
- Pushchairs Allowed
- Toy/Dressing Up Box
- Dressing-up box located in the Riding House.
- Family Learning
- Plenty of things to do for families and children. Please see our events page for a fun-filled family day out.
- Interpretation for Children
- Family friendly exhibition and education section.
- Foreign Language Guidebooks
- Some information available in French and German. Please ask in the visitor centre for details.
- Available for Event Hire
- Bolsover Castle is available for private and corporate events.
- Civil Weddings
Commercial Photography and Filming
English Heritage welcomes all photographers to our sites and we hope you will share your pictures with us on Flickr and Facebook.
We do have some restrictions at certain locations, so if photography is your main reason for visiting, please call the site ahead of your visit to check if any parts of the site are restricted.
If you are interested in using English Heritage sites for commercial photography this must be arranged in advance. Please go to: Sarah Eastel Locations (http://www.film-locations.co.uk) for more information.