The remains of one of the first Augustinian priories in England, founded about 1100.
An impressive example of early Norman architecture, built in flint and reused Roman brick, the church displays massive circular pillars and round arches and an elaborate west front.
Later badly damaged by cannon fire during the Civil War siege of 1648.
Prices and opening times
For just £39 a year, English Heritage members get free entry to our properties and exclusive discounts.