The ruins of a medieval palace (together with later additions) used by the Bishops and senior clergy of Winchester as they travelled through their diocese. Winchester was the richest diocese in England, and its properties were grandiose and extravagantly appointed.
Much of what can be seen today is the work of William Wykeham, who was bishop from 1367. The ground floor of the farmhouse is occupied by the Bishop's Waltham Town Museum. Other palaces of the Bishops of Winchester include Farnham Castle Keep and Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace).
Prices and opening times
Hampshire - SO32 1DH
For just £39 a year, English Heritage members get free entry to our properties and exclusive discounts.