History and Research: Wellington Arch

Wellington Arch, London

Wellington Arch, one of London’s best-known landmarks, was built in 1825–7 as part of a campaign to improve the royal parks. At first it stood directly south of Piccadilly, facing the Hyde Park Screen; it was only moved to its present position in the 1880s to allow for road widening. Its original design was never completed, and a controversial equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington erected on top of it in 1846 was later taken down, eventually being replaced in 1911–12 with the sculpture that crowns it today.

Researching our Sites

These pages are part of Portico, an online resource which explores the history and significance of the sites in our care and provides a gateway to further sources of information about them.

We value your feedback about these pages. Contact us at portico@english-heritage.org.uk

About the author 

The author of the Portico pages on Wellington Arch is Steven Brindle MA DPhil FSA, co-author of the guidebook to the Arch and an English Heritage historian.

Buy the guidebook

A more detailed history and description of the Arch can be found in the English Heritage guidebook to Wellington Arch and Marble Arch.

Wellington Arch and Marble Arch guidebook