There are plenty of outdoor and indoor facilities for school groups to see at Bolsover castle, including the 17th century castle built by Charles Cavendish, Riding House Range which now contains an exhibition, Terrace Range and Wall Walk.
This imposing 17th century castle provides fabulous education opportunities for pupils, particularly art, history and geography.
- KS1-2: The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066. Aspects of the castle have remained in their original 12th century position.
- KS1-2: A local history study
- KS3: The development of Church state and society in Britain 1509-1745.
- KS3 Geography: Understand through use of place-based exemplars at a variety of scales, the processes in influencing changing landscape. Bolsover provides a superb vantage point from which to look at the surrounding land.
- KS1-4 Art & Design: Produce creative work, exploring ideas and recording experiences. The Little Castle also contains murals and paintings on panel, as well as exquisite ceilings and fireplaces
free school visits
Highlights include outdoor large grassed areas which can be used by school groups for self booked activities, rooms within the 17th Century Terrace Range which includes the Dining Room and Long Gallery. Other key areas to be seen include the Little Castle, with its exquisite interior decoration, Wall Walk, Terrance Range and Riding House Range.
The sumptuously painted walls and ceilings of the Little Castle, intricately carved fireplaces and the magnificent indoor Riding House. There is a new exhibition in the stables, with a fascinating film about Cavendish and the castle, plus Cavalier Horsemanship horse displays every weekend from April to September.
Facilities for Learning Groups
- Large dedicated Education Room which can be booked
- Parking is located 50 metres from entrance
- Toilets are located in the Visitor Centre
- There is a Discovery Centre in the stables with audio visual displays
- Gift Shop
- Fantastic interactive exhibition in the Riding House which introduces the site
- Grassed picnic area with picnic benches
- New outdoor play area
Booking for learning groups is essential:
Education Opening Times
- March - Education Winter Opening on Mondays and Fridays
- April to October - Open for schools, please contact the Education Booking Team on 0370 3330606 for details.
- November - Open Mondays and Fridays.
- December to February - Closed for education visits.