WORKING AT OUR HISTORIC PLACES
How would you like to be part of our team providing memorable visitor experiences?
You will find a unique role at each one of our inspiring, exciting and rewarding historic places where no two days are ever the same. We are constantly seeking a range of skills and talents to help us create experiences that bring the story of England to life for our visitors.
What role will you play?
Whatever role you play, you'll need excellent customer service skills.
At each of our places you will find various roles from Gardeners to Site Managers, and from Beach Rangers to Hands on History Crew. Throughout the year we regularly recruit for Visitor Assistant, Catering Assistant and Membership Recruiter roles at most of our places on a permanent and seasonal basis.
We care for historic places all across the country, and wherever you work you'll find a great team who are passionate about their local environment and committed to delivering an outstanding experience for our visitors.Our Benefits
What to Expect
How do I make an application?
- Visit our current jobs pages and identify a role and location that suits you, then complete a quick application form. This is your opportunity to tell us about the skills, knowledge and experiences that you will bring to. If successful at this stage you will be asked to send through your work experience, education and reference details.
How do I decide which historic place to work at?
- Given the location of our historic places it would be best to apply for the role at an historic place closest to your home. To find out more about our historic places use our visitors search option to find the historic place closest to you - Find out more about our historic places.
- If you’d like to work at more than one place in a specific role type (e.g. as a Catering Assistant), you will be able to make one application to begin with. We’ll then ask you which other historic place you might be interested in when we’ve reviewed your application. However, you are more than welcome to apply for different role types across our different places (e.g. a Catering Assistant at Dover, a Visitor Assistant – Historic Property Steward at Deal etc).
How will you assess my application?
- We are focused on your relevant skills and behaviours, and your motivation for working for us. Within the application form there are questions designed to give you the opportunity to tell us about these. We’ll then review your answers to these questions and get in touch to let you know about the next stage. If you’re successful we’ll ask you to let us know more about your work experience, education and reference details.
What are the interviews and assessments like?
If successful, you’ll be invited to meet with us, mostly likely at one of our historic places - but it could be at a different location to the role you have applied to. Here you’ll be able to discover more about what life is like at our fascinating places and more about the role you’ve applied for. We have two main assessment types:
1. Selection Stage:
- You will be invited along with a number of other candidates to attend a session that will normally last for a couple of hours. Depending on the number of candidates who attend you’ll get the opportunity to meet and talk with our colleagues who work at the historic places. It is likely you will also take part in a group assessment as well as a one-to-one interview.
- The interview will be with a supervisor or manager at one of our historic places and will be focused around your experiences, skills, and motivation within Customer Service, Sales, and Team Work.
- These are similar areas covered in your application form, so please review your application before attending an interview so you are prepared to talk about your experiences.
What if there aren’t any roles that I’m interested in?
- If you are unable to find a role that suits you now, create a Job Alert and you will receive new vacancies that are suitable you when they become available.
- Find out from our colleagues what it's like to work here and our various roles
What do I do if I run into problems with my application?
- If you have any difficulties or are unsure of any of the details during the application process, please contact us.
When will I hear back about my application?
- You will receive an acknowledgement email shortly after submitting your application to let you know we have received it. After that we will review your application and at the latest you should hear from us 24 hours after the closing date of the role.
If successful when will I start?
- The majority of roles will start in early March ahead of the Easter half-term, with full training provided to ensure you are fully prepared for when we re-open our historic places for the new season. However depending on where you might join us, you might find that the start date for the role you have applied for will vary.