We regret that the roof is temporarily closed whilst we carry out minor repairs. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The County Hall has dominated the market place of Abingdon, south of Oxford, since the late 17th century. Designed by a protégé of Sir Christopher Wren, this splendid Baroque building was erected between 1678 and 1682. It housed a courtroom on the first floor, raised on arches above a market space. It is now home to the Abingdon County Hall Museum, and there are fine views from the rooftop overlooking the market square.
Read more about the history of Abingdon County Hall.
Before You Go
Access: There are over 120 steps in the building, the majority of which have a shallow tread. A small lift from street level can take visitors down to the cellar area, but there is no lift access to the gallery or rooftop.
Opening Times: The museum is open 10am-4pm, Tuesdays to Sundays, throughout the year. The site is also open on Bank Holidays, except over Christmas and New Year.
Roof Access: The rooftop is open daily but may be closed at short notice in poor weather conditions. Charges apply - see details.
Facilities: The hall has toilets, a café, baby changing facilities and a shop.
Dogs: Assistance dogs only.
Other Information: Prams and pushchairs can be left in the foyer or taken into the café.
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic buildings, monuments and places - from world-famous prehistoric sites to grand medieval castles, from Roman forts on the edges of empire to a Cold War bunker. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million people each year. The English Heritage Trust is a charity, no. 1140351, and a company, no. 0744722, registered in England.
- 66% Self-generated income
- 20% One off capital grant
- 14% Government funding