A noble 17th century mansion complete with Victorian Service Wing and stables set in magnificently kept gardens. Schools can now venture to the top of the house and see the newly opened Nursery Suite and Coal Gallery.
This imposing 17th century castle provides fabulous education opportunities for pupils, particularly art, history and geography. Key Curriculum links include:
- KS1-2: A local history study. The 'Victorian Values' Discovery Visit is on offer. This makes use of the Service Wing, Nursery and Coal Gallery in the House, showing pupils what life was like during Victorian times.
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509 - 1745
- KS1-2 Science: Identify and decribe the functions of different parts of plants
- KS1-4 Art & Design: Produce creative work, exploring ideas and recording experiences
free school visits
Experience parts of the beautiful 17th century mansion, service wing, kitchen garden and grounds. Say hello to our resident horses in the stable block. Visit the Coal Gallery, once a hive of activity, as we recreate the hustle and bustle of servants' daily routines. Meet our costumed characters from April to October with our expert-led Discovery Visit.
expert led school visits
- VICTORIAN VALUES: Explore the life of a Victorian servant. Meet Mrs Warwick, formidable housekeeper to the Braybrooke family. Students are divided into two groups. While one group finds out about life as a servant and tries activities with the housemaids in the education room, the second group is left in the capable hands of Mrs Warwick. The groups then exchange places. Students are encouraged to come dressed in Victorian costume, and aprons are provided. Duration: 1 1/2 hours
- New for 2017, add a house tour to your Discovery Visit at no extra cost and led by our experts. Key rooms that are included on the tour are the Great Hall, Saloon, Lord Braybrooke's Sitting Room, the Library, Coal Gallery, Dining Room, Lady Braybrooke's Sitting Room and the Neville Bedroom. Please email email@example.com for more information.
facilities for learning groups
- PARKING: Free coach and car parking available
- FOOD AND DRINK: Picnic area
- TOILETS: Male and female toilets by the Tearoom and the Cart Yard Café.
- GARDENS: Fine formal Victorian gardens and walled organic kitchen garden stocked to match the 1800's plants.
- EDUCATION ROOM: Please ask the bookings team to check availability and add this to your itinerary.