A mighty Iron Age hill fort where Salisbury's first cathedral once stood, Old Sarum is a unique location where people from prehistory to the Middle Ages have invaded and settled.
We had a great day, thanks very much. Staff were very friendly and well organised!
- KS1: How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
- KS2: Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. How several aspects of national history are reflected in the locality, a study of an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond. Also Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England to the time of Edward the Confessor.
- KS3: The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509, challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day, causes and events of the civil wars throughout Britain
- KS4: OCR Specification B 2c. Introduction to history around us
- KS1-3: Local History Study, Math, Science
- KS1-3: Geography, locational knowledge, human and physical geography, geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS3: Art and Design, the history ofart, craft and architecture
free school visits
Find out about the people who lived and worked at Old Sarum using our on-site 'Hidden Now Heard' backpacks. These activity bags are for KS 1-3. Each bag contains a character card, map, handling objects and activities for the following time periods:
- Early: Iron Age to Vikings, 120BC-1003AD
- Middle: Medieval, 1086-1260
- Modern: Victorian to the 21st century, 1830-2008
To find out more information and to book out our self-led backpacks with your free education visit, email the Education Booking Team.
Facilities for Learning Groups
- Gift shop on-site, we recommend you bring your class in small groups at a time
- Picnic areas outdoors. We have no undercover space for lunch or bag storage.
- Free coach parking available for up to two coaches – please contact site on 01722 335398
- Parking is also available in the lay-by on Castle Road
- Education tents that hold up to 30 pupils are available on request in advance. Please not that staff may not be able to put these up in strong winds.