Help your class explore the history of Pendennis, from Tudor times to today, with one of our many ways to learn.
Thank you for a stimulating and brilliant workshop and visit. Will come back again!
- KS1, 2 & 3: Local History Study
- KS1: How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
- KS2: How several aspects of national history are reflected in the locality, a study of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 significant in the locality.
- KS3: Development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509, ideas, political power, industry and empire in Britain 1745-1901, and challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day.
free school visits
One of the finest of the mighty fortresses built by Henry VIII to defend the country against invasion, Pendennis Castle remains one of Cornwall's greatest fortresses. With over 400 years of defending Britain’s coasts, and a range of ways to learn on-site, we've got everything you need to help you cover a wide range of cross-curricular topics. Explore the Gun Tower and use our Tudor Discovery Chest and resources to help you with learning in and out of the classroom.
The Cornwall Heritage Trust offer funding for school transport to eligible schools. Find out more and fill out an application form to see if you can cover the costs of transport on your trip to Pendennis.
expert led school visits
Inspire your students with our hands-on expert led Discovery visit by one of our experts and great value for up to 30 students at £100 per class.
- NOW AND THEN (KS1): Discover how everyday objects and clothes have changed over time and play some games from the past. Costumes and handling artefacts are used to introduce children to the idea of change through time, different styles and methods of production and comparison with today. Duration: 1 1/4 hours
facilities for learning groups
- Exhibition (can accomodate small groups)
- Gift shop on-site, we recommend you bring your class in small groups at a time
- Plenty of undercover space for lunch
- Picnic areas outdoors
- Coach parking is a short 5 minute walk from the Castle.
- Education room is bookable if you have booked an expert-led session as part of your visit day and wish to do some further study. In the education room we have a Civil War, Tudor and Second World War Discovery Chests with costumes and replica artefacts.
- Discovery Centre with lots of things for your class to see and explore