Plan a school trip to Farleigh Hungerford Castle, originally the home of the intriguing Hungerford family. Explore the castle ruins, the chapel and the burial vault and look around the Priest's House to learn about the history of the site and the people who lived there.
- EYFS: Understanding the world
- KS1, 2 & 3: Local history study
- KS1: How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- KS2: How several aspects of national history are reflected in the locality; an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- KS3: Development of church, state and society in Medieval Britain (1066-1509); development of church, state and society in Britain (1509-1750)
- KS4: Current GCSE frameworks and study of the historic environment
free school visits
Book a free visit to Farleigh Hungerford Castle and lead your own school trip in a way that suits you. We have an education space, museum, costumes and handling collections that you can book in advance to help your class learn about the history of the castle. Alternatively you could explore the site as a stimulus for art, photography or story writing. You are also welcome to book a free visit, prior to bringing your class, to plan your trip.
expert led school visits
Let us help you inspire your students with our hands-on Discovery Visit delivered by one of our site experts and great value for up to 30 students .
- LIVING IN A MEDIEVAL CASTLE (KS1-2, £100 per class): Incorporating an interactive site tour, handling objects and costumes, your class will discover who lived and worked in the castle and the differences and similarities between Medieval life and our lives today. Duration: 1 1/4 hours
facilities for learning groups
- Car park and coach parking on-site
- Education room available for school groups with bag storage, please book this room in advance
- Gift shop on-site, we recommend you bring your class in small groups at a time
- Plenty of outdoor lunch space
- Bookable Medieval costume collection available for KS1 & 2
- Bookable handling collection with site related objects and information notes
- Accessible museum with extensive object displays and descriptions, including a number of artefacts found on site
- On-site bookable activity sheets including activities around castles, heraldry and Medieval jobs