A magnificent example of late 12th-century castle. Schools have the freedom to explore the inside of the castle walls through the main gatehouse, the 'wall walk' along the top of the castle, as well as learn about the history from the illustrated display.
Our education offer at Framlingham Castle encompases a visit to a historically important and fascinating castle which spans nearly 1,000 years of history.
- KS1-3: A local history study
- KS1-2 History: Britain’s settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots
- KS3 History: The development of the Church, state and society of Medieval Britain 1066 - 1509.
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509 -1745.
- KS3 History: The Magna Carter and emergence of parliament.
- KS3 Geographical Skills and Fieldwork: Framlingham has a large space within the castle walls, meadow and pathways to explore the external ditch.
- KS4: OCR Specification A; study of the historic environment: ‘Castles: Form and Function c.1000-1750’
free school visits
Through the main gatehouse, Framlingham provides a large open space within the castle walls to explore key features. The wall walk allows pupils to explore all thirteen of the towers around the complete circumference of Framlingham Castle. Visit Framlingham's workhouse, which now provides the exhibition room, including information about the history of the castle, as well as activities such as the 'Who Eats What?' game and 'Spin the King'. The gift shop is also located in the workhouse.
The resource which has been developed to support teachers in teaching OCR specification A; study of the historic environment: Castles: Form and function c. 1000-1750, can be downloaded from the Find Teaching and Learning Resources section on the OCR website.
Facilities for Learning Groups
- PARKING: Free car park 300 metres from the entrance of the castle.
- SHOP: Gift shop available, where medieval themed souvenirs can be bought.
- EXHIBITION: The exhibition room in the workhouse illustrates the story of the people who lived at Framlingham.
- TOILETS: Male, female and disabled toilets are located in the car park.
Education Opening Times
- March - Education Winter Opening on Mondays and Fridays.
- April to October - Open for schools, please contact the Education Booking Team on 0370 333 0606 for details.
- November - Open Mondays and Fridays
- December to February - Closed for education visits.