Explore the incredible fortified manor house with it's great hall that's remained unchanged for 700 years and discover the fascinating story of the Shropshire wool merchant who became one of the richest men in England. Whatever your topic or key stage, a visit to Stokesay Castle can help bring history to life for your class.
- KS1: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2: Local history study- study of a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- KS3: Local history study; Development of church, state and society in Medieval Britain (1066-1509); Development of church, state and society in Britain (1509-1750) - Civil War
- KS4: GCSE History - Study of the historic environment, suitable for AQA or OCR History B
free school visits
Whether studying local history or looking for inspiration for art or storywriting, lead your class on a FREE school visit to Stokesay Castle to spark the imagination and make learning memorable.
Once booked, you can also arrange a FREE planning visit and are entitled to a 20% discount on a guidebook to help prepare for your school trip.
- Space on-site is limited, so to ensure your class get the most of our their visit please ensure your group booking does not exceed to 60 learners and leaders at one time and that no more than 30 explore inside the castle at one time.
- Car park located approx 300 metres from the entrance, space for 2 coaches to park and charges do not apply. A coach parking permit will be provided
- Toilet facilties located near entrance
- Gift shop on site - we suggest that pupils are accompanied in small groups as space is limited
- Outdoor space and picnic tables can be used as lunch space
AQA GCSE History Teaching Resource for Stokesay Castle 2018