Wrest Park boasts vast beautiful grounds, formal gardens and rooms within the Georgian mansion to explore, as well as a dedicated education room complete with tables, chairs and outdoor space. Wrest Park's magnificent surrounding and rich history provides a great day out for schools.
- KS1-2 Science: Identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain. A led Discovery Visit is available to support this.
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to present. Explore Wrest Park's important role as a wartime hospital.
- KS3 Geographical Skills and Fieldwork: With vast grounds to explore, students can use compass directions and locational language.
- KS1 - 4 Art & Design: Produce creative work, exploring ideas and recording experiences
- KS2 English: Develop positive attitudes towards and stamina for writing
free school visits
Wrest Park lends itself to exploration. Your class can explore over 90 acres of landscape design showcasing French, Dutch, Italian and English styles side by side. Find out more about the garden, and the people who shaped it, in our exhibition in the house. Make use of our education room to complete work relating to your visit and use as a lunch space.
In association with Girlguiding Bedfordshire, the 'Wrest Park Quest' badge is available for Rainbows, Brownies and Guides to earn upon completion of an outdoor and indoor activity. The activities take place on selected Saturdays throughout the year. Please contact our Education Bookings Team to find available dates and to book a place.
Further information about the Wrest Park Quest, along with how group leaders should prepare for a visit, can also be found on the Beds Girlguiding website: http://www.bedsguiding.org.uk/
expert led school visits
At just £100 per session (approximately 30 pupils), our expert-led Discovery Visits combine inspiring experiences with quality learning.
Romans Life and Culture (KS2): Your class will handle real and replica Roman artefacts within our Archaeological Collections Store and become 'history hunters' in the aisles of the Wroxeter Roman City collection, which displays amazing remains from the fourth largest Roman city in Britain.
Students will examine some fine examples of our genuine Roman coins and have a go at making their own from clay to take away.
An interactive and lively session which aims to answer the question; What impact did the Romans have on Britain?
Duration: 1 hour 45 minutes
Sessions are available on a Wednesday. To book a place, please call our Education Bookings Team on 0370 333 0606 or click on the link below:
Facilities for Learning Groups
- Plenty of parking is available in the walled garden area. Disabled visitors may park in the disabled parking bays
- Male and female toilets are located at the visitor centre
- Free bookable Education Room provides tables and seating with access to a connected enclosed yard.
- Picnic area available for groups to use
- Gift Shop and goody bags available upon request, please ask our bookings team
- In association with Girlguiding Bedfordshire, the 'Wrest Park Quest' badge is available for Rainbows, Brownies and Guides to earn upon completion of the associated outdoor quest in the grounds and environmentally friendly pot planting activity. Equipment is provided for self-led activities in our education room.
- Please book your quest as a Free Education Visit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org