Located in the heart of Bury St Edmunds, the abbey was once one of the richest and most powerful Benedictine monasteries in England. Its remains are extensive and include the complete 14th century Great Gate and Norman Tower, as well as the impressive ruins and altered west front of the immense church.
The relics of the martyred Anglo-Saxon king St Edmund, whose remains were moved to this site in 903, and his shrine became a place of pilgrimage. The abbey itself was founded in 1020 and grew in power and wealth up until its suppression in 1539.
Read more about the history of Bury St Edmunds Abbey.
Managed by West Suffolk Council.
Before You Go
Parking: There is a charged car park opposite the Abbey Gate, not managed by English Heritage.
Access: The abbey remains are within the Abbey Gardens and are reached on foot, either via the Abbey Gate entrance into the gardens on Angel Hill or via their Mustow Street entrance. Parts of the site are uneven and can become muddy.
Facilites: English Heritage has no facilities at the abbey ruins but they are in the centre of Bury St Edmunds so there are plenty of options nearby. There are toilets, a refreshment kiosk, beautiful floral displays and a children's play area within its Abbey Gardens setting.
School Visits/Large Groups: Please contact West Suffolk Council on 01284 764667.
Dogs: Dogs on leads are welcome.
Plan a Great Day Out
11 miles from the abbey is Thetford Priory, the burial site of the earls and dukes of Norfolk for nearly 400 years. Within a stone's throw of the priory is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the only surviving remains of a priory of the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre in England.
An hour's drive from the abbey is Framlingham Castle. It was here that Mary Tudor was proclaimed Queen in 1553 during the succession crisis that followed Edward VI's death. Enjoy the spectacular views from the castle wall walk or visit the colourful exhibition.