The oldest building in Gravesend, Kent, Milton Chantry is all that remains of a leper hospital built in 1322 by Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke. It has served in turn as a hospital, Tudor chantry chapel, public house, and Georgian barracks, and its basement was converted for use as a gas decontamination chamber during the Second World War. Although mainly encased in 19th century brick, the building still has its 14th century timber roof.
The buiklding now houses a collection of items relating to the heritage of Gravesend. including a selection of Roman finds.
Managed by Gravesham Borough Council.
Before You Go
Opening Times: Milton Chantry will not be open to visitors during 2020 but in recent years it normally opens from noon until 5pm at weekends and bank holidays from April until September. Admission outside these times is by appointment only - please contact Gravesham Borough Council on 01474 337600. The site is closed from October until April. View details.
Parking: There is a pay-and-display car park, not managed by English Heritage, next to Fort Gardens in Milton Place, a few minutes' walk away.
Audio guide: There is a free audio guide that will lead you through the building, describing its features and various uses through different periods of time.
Access: The building is set over several floors and levels accessed via sets of wooden stairs
Facilities: There are no facilties at the site but it is on the adge of Gravesend town centre.
Dogs: Assitance dogs only.
Plan a Great Day Out
Visit England's eastern defences by exploring nearby forts and castles.
Tilbury Fort on the Thames Estuary has defended London's seaward approach from Tudor times to WWII. Enter through the magnificent Watergate and visit the exhibition in the east gunpowder magazine. It is a half hour drive away or on some days can be reached via a 5-minute foot passenger ferry ride from Gravesend Town Pier, which is 500 yards' walk away. There is then a half mile walk from Tilbiry Ferry Terminal to the fort.
Guarding the strategic crossing of the River Medway, Rochester Castle is another powerful fortress with an eventful history.
Set in a riverside village, Upnor Castle was built to protect warships in Chatham dockyard. Its cannonade failed to stop a Dutch attack from destroying the anchored English fleet in 1667.