Freedom of information

Freedom of information

Find out how to locate or request information published by English Heritage in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) 2000, the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004 and the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998.

How to make a request

The FOI Act states that all requests have to:

  • be in writing
  • specify the information requested
  • provide a name and contact details for response

They should be directed to the Senior Information Officer.
The Environmental Information Regulations do not state that a request has to be in writing, so you can place a request verbally (tel: 01793 414567). However it may be better, for the sake of clarity, if you write to us. If you do phone we will let you know if you have requested information that is not covered by the EIRs and you will then need to place your request in writing.
English Heritage makes certain types of information routinely available to the public. This information is detailed in our Publication Scheme.

When can I expect to receive a reply?

In all cases public authorities must respond within 20 working days of receipt of your request.

Will I get what I ask for?
We aim to provide information that is requested, but it is not always possible. A request can be refused for reasons such as commercial confidentiality or a risk of breaching the Data Protection Act. Reasons not to supply information will be explained when we reply. If you are unhappy with the response, you can request an internal review.

Subject Access Requests

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives any individual (or 'data subject') the right to request access to information held about them by English Heritage, subject to exemptions. This is a Subject Access Request.
If the data subject is unable to submit the request themselves someone else can place a request on their behalf.
How do I make a Subject Access Request?
You will need to complete a Subject Access Request form and provide proof of identity before we can process your request. Proof can be:

  • a current driver's licence
  • current passport
  • birth certificate

If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, please include proof of identity for yourself and the data subject. We also need a letter from the data subject authorising the request on their behalf.
The completed form along with proof of identity should be sent to:

Information Governance Manager
English Heritage
The Engine House
Fire Fly Avenue
Swindon SN2 2EH

Alternatively email the request along with scans or photographs of your identification documents to 

We will provide a copy of your personal information free of charge and usually within one month of receipt.  Where a request is complex or numerous we may extend the deadline by a further two months.  If this is the case we will let you know within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary. 

If the request is considered to be manifestly unfounded or excessive we may refuse to respond.  If we do refuse to respond to a request we will explain why and provide you with information about how to complain. 

If you would like more information, or have any questions about this policy, to make a formal complaint about our approach to data protection or raise privacy concerns please contact the Information Governance Manager. 

If you would like to make a complaint in relation to how we have handled your personal information please contact us.  If you are not happy with the response you receive then you can raise your complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
SK9 5AF 

Alternatively you can visit their website

Rights of Review and Appeal

Where English Heritage, for whatever reason, refuses all or part of your information request you have the right to request an internal review. Such requests should be submitted in writing to:

English Heritage Trust
6th Floor
100 Wood Street

An internal review must normally be completed before a review is requested from the Information Commissioner.

Review by the Information Commissioner

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, or the handling of the internal review conducted by us, you may seek an independent review from the Information Commissioner.
Requests for a review by the Information Commissioner should be made to:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 01625-545700
Fax: 01625 524510

'step into englands story