Group visits to Bolsover Castle
William Cavendish, later Duke of Newcastle, built Bolsover Castle with no regard to expense. This hilltop pleasure palace of a horse-mad Cavalier playboy is packed with entertainments for your group.
We offer a 15% discount (10% for Stonehenge) for travel trade and organised groups of 11 or more paying visitors when payment is made in a single transaction.
Per group you also receive:
- free entry for one tour leader
- free entry for one coach driver
The tour leader, coach driver and any English Heritage members do not count towards the group totals.
Trade admission prices and opening times:
Please refer to our Trade Admission Prices & Site Opening Times brochure for pricing and opening times information at our top sites for groups.
Making a booking:
Contact information for making your group booking can be found in the Visit & Contact Information section below.
Please include the property name and date of visit in the subject line of your email along with the following information:
- Group name
- Name of property
- Tour reference/booking reference (if applicable)
- Date and time of arrival
- Number of visitors
Payment can be made on arrival by: cash, credit/debit card, cheque (made payable to The English Heritage Trust), Agency Voucher Scheme (AVS).
Visit & Contact information
- Coach parking: Limited coach parking in the council car park, opposite the site car park.
- Catering: The café in the visitor centre seats 50 inside and a further 30 outside. Serves a selection of drinks, cakes, feshly made sandwiches, as well as hot and cold light lunches. Pre-booked lunches available for groups.
- Exhibition: Visit the introductory exhibition in the stables. Watch the dramatic introductory film that demonstrates the vast history of Bolsover Castle then get hands-on and turn wheels in the exhibition to reveal intriguing facts about the site - from the architecture, to the people and politics of its past.
- Gardens: Small, circular sheltered walled garden with seasonal 1630s period planting around the edges and a gentle Venus fountain in the centre.
- Audio tour: Audio tour available in English.
- Access: The Little Castle is not accessible to wheelchair users but interpretation boards are located in the Riding House. Terrace Range, Venus Garden and parts of Riding House and Stables have level access with good viewpoints. Disabled access to some parts of the Riding House and Terrace Range is subject to seasonal changes, please call 01246 822844 in advance of your visit for further details.
- Average length of visit: 2 hours.
Address: Castle Street, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S44 6PR
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (group bookings)
Telephone: Bolsover Castle: 01246 822844 (general enquiries only)
Local TIC: Please call Chesterfield tourist information on 01246 345777 if you would like information on other things to do in the area.
Make your group visit extra special by adding a guided tour.
Please allow for the indicated minimum notice below when booking. Guided tours are always subject to availability.
Bolsover Castle tour
Let our expert guide entertain and impress your group as you tour the fairy-tale Stuart mansion, Bolsover Castle. The story of this hilltop pleasure palace will be revealed as you wander the lavish rooms of the Little Castle, explore the romantic ruined terrace range, and delight in the views from the wall walk.
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Minimum-maximum pax: 15 - 25 pax. Larger groups can book multiple tours.
- Advance booking required: Yes, a minimum of 14 days notice is required
- Price: normal admission fee + £4 per person.
Meet our Storytellers
Look out for our Storytellers to hear exciting tales and histories from Bolsover Castle. Attired in colourful costumes inspired by the castle’s history the volunteers will be telling a range of fantastic stories and anecdotes to our visitors. Don't be surprised if you bump into Margaret or William Cavendish themselves while walking the walled garden or exploring the terrace range.
Aerial fam trip
Take flight above this hilltop pleasure palace of a horse-mad Cavalier playboy on this aerial familiarisation visit. Packed with entertainment, Bolsover Castle provides a perfect group day out.