This fine 13th century chapel was originally constructed by the lord of Chisbury Manor to assert his high social status. It allowed the household of the manor, as well as local people, to attend services and pay their taxes without having to travel to the parish church at Great Bedwyn.
The building ceased to be used as a consecrated chapel in 1547, and has been used as a barn for the past three centuries. But visitors to Chisbury will be rewarded with a pretty thatched and flint-walled construction, whose original function is still clearly visible today.
Read more about the history of Chisbury Chapel.
Before You Go
Access: The short path leading to the chapel is slghtly uneven. To reach the site follow the brown signs from the small green in the centre of the village.
Parking: Please park considerately on Chisbury Lane. The chapel can be reached by walking 300 metres on an uphill track.
Facilities: Shops, cafés and facilities can be found in the nearby market town of Marlborough, approximately 6 miles away.
Please be aware: English Heritage does not permit drone flying from or over sites in our care, except by contractors or partners undertaking flights for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and permissions, and are operating under controlled conditions.