Group visits to Down House, The Home of Charles Darwin
Transport your group back to Victorian times with a visit to the country home where the scientist Charles Darwin wrote his world-changing book, On the Origin of Species, as well as enjoying family life with his wife and ten children.
We offer a 15% discount (10% for Stonehenge) for travel trade and organised groups of 11 or more paying visitors when payment is made in a single transaction.
Per group you also receive:
- free entry for one tour leader
- free entry for one coach driver
The tour leader, coach driver and any English Heritage members do not count towards the group totals.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.Join the mailing list
Trade admission prices and opening times:
Please refer to our Trade Admission Prices & Site Opening Times brochure for pricing and opening times information at our top sites for groups.
Making a booking:
Contact information for making your group booking can be found in the Visit & Contact Information section below.
Please include the property name and date of visit in the subject line of your email along with the following information:
- Group name
- Name of property
- Tour reference/booking reference (if applicable)
- Date and time of arrival
- Number of visitors
Payment can be made on arrival by: cash, credit/debit card, Agency Voucher Scheme (AVS).
Visit & Contact information
- Coach parking: Coach parking for one coach is available in gardens, 50 metres from house. Pre-booking required.
- Catering: Tearoom open until 30 minutes before closing. Seats 30 inside and 40 outside. Call 01689 851012 to pre-book packed lunches or lunch for 6 or more people. Buffets are available for larger groups. Picnic area available.
- Average length of visit: 3 hours
Address: Down House, Luxted Road, Downe, Kent BR6 7JT
Telephone: 01689 859119
Make your group visit extra special by adding a guided tour.
Guided tours must be booked in advance and are always subject to availability.
Gardens of Down House tour
Enjoy a guided tour of the gardens of Down House and hear about the experiments Darwin carried out to help prove his theories on evolution. See how the garden has been restored to its original Victorian layout, complete with authentic planting.
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Minimum-maximum pax: 11-20 pax per tour
- Advance booking required: Yes.
- Price: Price available on enquiry.
Group Travel Support
Further support and useful resources available to group travel organisers can be found on our dedicated Group Visits webpages.
For educational groups, please visit our School Visits webpages.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.