The oldest building in Gravesend, Kent, Milton Chantry is all that remains of a leper hospital built in 1322 by Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke. It has served in turn as a hospital, Tudor chantry chapel, public house, and Georgian barracks, and its basement was converted for use as a gas decontamination chamber during the Second World War. Although mainly encased in 19th century brick, the building still has its 14th century timber roof.
Managed by Gravesham Borough Council.
Before You Go
Opening Times: Open 12 - 5pm at weekends and bank holidays from April until October. Admission outside of these times is by appointment only. The site is closed from October until April. Please contact Gravesham Borough Council on 01474 337600. View details.
Parking: There is a charged car park within five minutes of the site, not managed by English Heritage.
Dogs: Dogs on leads are welcome.
Plan a Great Day Out
Visit England's eastern defences by exploring nearby forts and castles.
Tilbury Fort on the Thames Estuary has defended London's seaward approach from Tudor times to WWII. Enter through the magnificent Watergate and visit the exhibition in the east gunpowder magazine.
Guarding the strategic crossing of the River Medway, Rochester Castle is another powerful fortress with an eventful history.
Set in a riverside village, Upnor Castle was built to protect warships in Chatham dockyard. Its cannonade failed to stop a Dutch attack from destroying the anchored English fleet in 1667.