This site is currently closed as there is currently no ferry service running to the island. Unfortunately, government restrictions relating to coronavirus mean that we cannot open Piel Castle safely for our members, visitors or staff. We will continue to review this with the hope of re-opening and returning to normal opening hours as soon as we are able.
Accessible only via a small boat ferry, this 14th century fortress was built by the Abbot of Furness to guard Barrow-in-Furness against pirates and Scots raiders. Lambert Simnel, pretender to Henry VII's throne, landed here in 1487. The massive keep, inner and outer baileys and the towered curtain walls are still standing.
Read more about the history of Piel Castle.
Before You Go
Access: Piel Island can be accessed from Roa Island by a small ferry operated during the summer season. The ferry is not managed by English Heritage. Please call Steve Chattaway (Ship Inn) on 07516453784 or Alan Cleasby on 07798794550.
Dogs: Dogs on leads are welcome.
Facilities: There is an inn on the island, not managed by English Heritage. There are toilets and a shop at Furness Abbey. There's a café (not managed by English Heritage) close to the abbey and a wide range of facilities in Barrow-in-Furness.