Plan Your Visit
Welcome to Tintagel Castle
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you won’t be able to visit without your booking confirmation. If you’re a Member, your ticket will be free, but you still need to book in advance. To book your visit, click here.
Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history really happened. And you’ll still be given a warm and safe welcome by our friendly – if socially distant – staff and volunteers.
- Tintagel Castle Bridge - The bridge will be open for you to cross onto Tintagel Island while following social distancing rules. We will have a one-way system in place with visitors leaving via the original steps.
- Tintagel Castle Beach & Merlin's Cave - These will be open (depending on tide times).
- Island Walk - The island walk will be open for you to explore while following social distancing rules.
- Exhibition - The exhibition space will be closed.
- Cafe - The kiosk will be open for light refreshments.
- Shop - The shop will be open. You can also buy a range of gifts and souvenirs from our online shop.
- Toilets - There will be toilets available.
- Landrover service - The Landrover service is running with a separate charge.
- Face coverings - Face coverings must be worn in Tintagel Castle's indoor spaces and for the Landrover service. We won’t be able to give you a face covering, so please come prepared so you don’t miss out.
- Access - There is currently a one-way system in place at the castle, which means leaving via 140 steep steps. For those with limited mobility or disabilities to be guided back across the bridge, there can be a long delay while staff halt the flow of arrivals. It important to us that all our visitors with access requirements have an enjoyable visit, and we therefore highly recommend booking the last timeslot of the day. At this quieter time, there will be fewer people arriving, so our staff can safely guide visitors back across the bridge and along the step-free path without a long wait.
How to get here
Tintagel Castle is situated on Cornwall's north coast, between Padstow and Bude. Visit our Directions page and plan your journey to Tintagel Castle by car, bicycle or public transport. Our interactive map will help you choose the best route.
You will find pay and display car parks in Tintagel Village, 600 metres away from the site. Please allow plenty of time to park and walk to Tintagel Castle.
Plan your day
Take a look at the things to see and do at Tintagel. Highlights include the cliff top remains of the medieval castle, spectacular views, and the life-sized kingly figure Gallos. Whilst we operate timed ticket access to cross the bridge, once on the island you can explore at your leisure.
There are plenty of areas to discover before and after your time on the island - including an exhibition on the history and legends of Tintagel Castle, a cafe with sea views, the shop and beach. Find out what Facilities are available for your day out.
In periods of bad weather and high winds Tintagel Castle sometimes needs to close. We advise you to check the website, our Facebook page or call the site before your visit if bad weather is forecasted. See our Ticketing FAQs for details on what to do if the site is closed.Ticketing FAQs
When you arrive
There are multiple car parks in Tintagel Village - these can get very busy so please allow plenty of time to park. We recommend giving yourself at least half an hour to walk from the village car parks to the entrance to the footbridge where your timed ticket slot begins.
On arrival at the site, you can pick up an orientation leaflet to help with your visit. The on-site toilets are by the shop and cafe at the bottom of Castle Road. There are also public toilets in the village.
Some visitors may prefer to take the Land Rover service (not managed by English Heritage) down to the cafe and exhibition, this carries a small additional charge and at busy times there are likely to be queues. Please note that the Land Rover service does not run during winter.
Getting around Tintagel Castle
Tintagel is a coastal site with a rugged landscape which can be challenging to visitors. We strongly advise you read our Access information where we provide details of the access challenges and help we can provide to ensure you get the most out of your visit.Find out more
Down on the beach
Visitors to Tintagel can walk down to the secluded beach below the castle, known as Tintagel Haven. When the tide is out, you can enjoy a picnic on the sand, explore the rock pools and stroll along the shore. It's the perfect spot for a quick paddle, or to admire the waterfall falling from the cliffs above.
Look for Merlin’s face on the rocks close to his cave, which you can explore at low tide. You may want to check the tide times before you book your ticket.
Please be aware that there is no lifeguard service in operation, and access to the beach is via steep steps, which some visitors may find challenging.
Food and drink
With its bright and airy decor which reflects the coastal setting, the Beach Cafe is the perfect place for a tasty snack.
Try our famous crab sandwich or freshly baked cakes and delicious lunches, whilst enjoying the views out to sea from our terrace (or cosy up in the corner on bad weather days).
We love dogs at Tintagel, and they are welcome everywhere but please note there are lots of steps, cliff edges and nesting birds so please keep them safe on leads.
Water is available for dogs at the café on request.