There are plenty of outdoor and indoor facilities for school groups to see at Bolsover castle, including the 17th century castle built by Charles Cavendish, Riding House Range which now contains an exhibition, Terrace Range and Wall Walk.
This imposing 17th century castle provides fabulous education opportunities for pupils, particularly art, history and geography.
- KS1-2: An aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
- KS1-3: A local history study.
- KS3: the development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1745. Aspects of the castle have remained in their original 12th century position while others were added later, in the Stuart period.
- KS3 Geography: Understand through use of place-based exemplars at a variety of scales, the processes in influencing changing landscape. Bolsover provides a superb vantage point from which to look at the surrounding land.
- KS1-4 Art & Design: Produce creative work, exploring ideas and recording experiences. The Little Castle also contains murals and paintings on panel, as well as exquisite ceilings and fireplaces
free school visits
Use the large grassed areas for self-led activities, discover the rooms of the Terrace Range and Riding House Range, and explore the Little Castle, with its exquisite interior decoration and impressive Wall Walk. There is an interactive exhibition in the stables, with a fascinating film about William Cavendish and the castle, plus Cavalier Horsemanship horse displays every weekend from April to September.
New for 2018: Take your class on an interactive tour of Bolsover Castle with our free multimedia guide, developed especially for schools. This innovative resource uses touch-screen technology to bring to life the people, buildings, art and architecture of Bolsover Castle during the Stuart period. Book the free multimedia guides and download the supporting resource below for top tips on using the multimedia guides at Bolsover Castle.
Facilities for Learning Groups
- Large dedicated Education Room which can be booked
- Parking is located 50 metres from entrance
- Toilets are located in the Visitor Centre
- There is a Discovery Centre in the stables with audio visual displays
- Gift Shop
- 20 free multimedia guides are available for school groups to book
- Fantastic interactive exhibition in the Riding House which introduces the site
- Grassed picnic area with picnic benches
- New outdoor play area
Booking for learning groups is essential:
Education Opening Times
- March - Education Winter Opening on Mondays and Fridays
- April to October - Open for schools, please contact the Education Booking Team on 0370 3330606 for details.
- November - Open Mondays and Fridays.
- December to February - Closed for education visits.