Discover the history of Bolsover Castle with your students, to bring learning about 1066 and medieval castles, and the 17th century to life. The castle as it appears today is based on Charles Cavendish's work in the 1600's, and you can explore the sumptuous rooms of the Little Castle, the Riding School, the Terrace Range and the Wall Walk.
This imposing 17th century castle provides fabulous education opportunities for students, particularly in art, history and geography.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places; study of castles
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1-4 Art & Design: The Little Castle contains murals and paintings on panels, as well as exquisite ceilings and fireplaces
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2-3 Geography: Understand the processes influencing changing landscape; understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745; the causes and events of the civil wars throughout Britain
Free Self-led Visits
Discover the rooms of the Terrace Range and Riding House Range, and explore the Little Castle, with its exquisite interior decoration and impressive Wall Walk. Enhance your learning and book our free multimedia guides, developed especially for schools. Take your class on an interactive tour of Bolsover Castle, with touch-screen technology that brings the people, buildings, art and architecture of the Stuart period to life. Download the learning resource below for top tips on using the multimedia guides.ENQUIRE NOW
Plan Your Visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.