A stunning and inspiring location for a cross-curricular school trip. Make the most of your day at Castle Acre Priory by visiting the on-site exhibition, recreated herb garden, and new stonework display in the Prior's lodgings. Download the free resources for schools below.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
Once the beautiful home of a working community of Cluniac monks with a great love for art and decoration, Castle Acre Priory is a fascinating site to explore for its historical signifcance and visual decadence.
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745
- KS3 Geography: Local knowledge, geographical skills and fieldwork, human and physical geography
- KS3 Art & Design: The history of art, craft, design and architecture
Free Self-Led Visits
The Priory has a huge amount to see and explore. From the extremely well preserved west front of the great 12th-century church to the remains of the cloister and monks' living quarters, which includes a two-storey, 24-seater toilet block. See below to download our Learning Resources to support your teaching before, during and after your visit. Use our Tour and Explore teachers' guide and student booklet for students to take part in a self-led tour around Castle Acre Priory. Make a full day of your visit by walking through the village to the nearby Castle and Bailey Gate using our illustrated map.Enquire now
PLAN YOUR TRIP
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits from September 2020
Education bookings are now open and can make provisional bookings for visits from September 2020 to March 2021. Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer, or if you’d like to book a visit you can use our online booking form.