Group visits to Richmond Castle
Huge Norman castle, dramatically set above the River Swale in a fine historic town. Exhibition includes a mock-up of the prison cells of First World War conscientious objectors and a touch-screen tour.
We offer a 15% discount (10% for Stonehenge) for travel trade and organised groups of 11 or more paying visitors when payment is made in a single transaction.
Per group you also receive:
- free entry for one tour leader
- free entry for one coach driver
The tour leader, coach driver and any English Heritage members do not count towards the group totals.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.Join the mailing list
Trade admission prices and opening times:
Please refer to our Trade Admission Prices & Site Opening Times brochure for pricing and opening times information at our top sites for groups.
Making a booking:
Contact information for making your group booking can be found in the Visit & Contact Information section below.
Please include the property name and date of visit in the subject line of your email along with the following information:
- Group name
- Name of property
- Tour reference/booking reference (if applicable)
- Date and time of arrival
- Number of visitors
Payment can be made on arrival by: cash, credit/debit card, Agency Voucher Scheme (AVS).
Visit & Contact information
- Coach parking: As there is no parking on site, please use free car park in town (4-5 coaches).
- Catering: The on-site shop serves tea, coffee and hot chocolate (vending machine). Cold drinks and various snacks are also available. Locally made Brymor ice-cream is sold in the summer. There is also a choice of places to eat in the Market Place.
- Exhibition: Interactive exhibition exploring the castle’s nine centuries of history, including the story of the conscientious objectors, many of them Dales Quakers, who refused to fight in the First World War. Various artefacts and a mock-up the contentious objector cells. Accessible via staff-operated stair lift.
- Access: Access to main parts of the Castle and main Ward over mown grass; some gravel around base of keep. Access to Keep and Cockpit by original steps only.
- Average length of visit: 1 hour.
Address: Riverside Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4QW
Telephone: Richmond Castle: 01748 822493 (general enquiries only)
Local TIC: If you would like to find out more about other things to see and do in the area please call: 01748 828742 (Richmond TIC)
Make your group visit extra special by adding a guided tour.
Guided tours must be booked in advance and are always subject to availability.
History of Richmond Castle
Join a member of staff at Richmond Castle to hear about the many aspects of the property's history. Learn where King Arthur is supposed to sleep and hear about the castle's use during the First World War.
- Minimum-maximum pax: 11 - 30 pax.
- Advance booking required: Yes, a minimum of 14 days notice is required
- Price: Price available on enquiry.
Group Travel Support
Further support and useful resources available to group travel organisers can be found on our dedicated Group Visits webpages.
For educational groups, please visit our School Visits webpages.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.