The Windows of the Royal Garrison Church

When bombs fell on the Royal Garrison Church in January 1941, the roof collapsed, and all the Victorian stained glass was destroyed.

The replacement windows were installed between 1957 and 1987. Together they not only contain religious imagery, but also take inspiration from the building itself, sharing its history and commemorating some of the military groups linked to the church.

You can view some of the scenes depicted in the stained glass in the gallery below, and find out more about them.

The two windows in the north wall of the chancel (on either side of the organ) are a pair, designed by Harold Thompson. The Eighth Army Window (unveiled in 1984) commemorates those who died serving in the Eighth Army in the Second World War, while the Gunners’ Window (1987) honours all who have served in the Royal Regiment of Artillery. 

The East Window, designed by Carl Edwards and unveiled in 1957, is full of religious imagery, all relating to the concept of the Domus Dei (House of God). Edwards also created windows for the House of Lords and Liverpool Cathedral.

All three windows on the south side of the church were designed by Michael Farrar-Bell and installed between 1967 and 1970. The Sovereigns’ Window celebrates the Garrison Church’s royal associations; the Church Window reveals the building’s history, from its medieval origins to the Second World War; and the Army Window commemorates Portsmouth’s connection to the Army.

Find out more

  • Visit the Royal Garrison Church

    Following a major restoration project, the Royal Garrison Church now has a magnificent new glazed screen that unites the chancel and nave.

  • History of the Royal Garrison Church

    Find out more about the history of the Royal Garrison Church, which has had an evolving role within the Portsmouth community for 800 years. 


    English Heritage cares for more than 700,000 objects from sites across the country. Browse some of the collections highlights. 

'step into englands story