Bring the curriculum to life and inspire your students with a visit to Scarborough Castle. Dominating Scarborough's headland, the site's history spans some 3000 years with Henry II's 12th-century keep being the centrepiece of the fortifications developed following repeated sieges during 1312 and twice during the English Civil War. In December 1914, key parts of the castle were destroyed by German naval warships, but what role has Scarborough played in local and national events? Let your class gather all the evidence and decide for themselves.
A visit to Scarborough Castle offers curriculum learning across the key stages:
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality, study of castles
- KS1-3 History: Local History Project
- KS2 History: Changes in Britain from Stone Age to Iron Age; the Roman Empire and its impact on Britain; Britain's Settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots; study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745
Free Self-led Visits
We offer free entry to qualifying learning groups. By booking a free education visit you can lead your own visit in your own way. We also have plenty of online resources to help you support and follow up your learning plan.Enquire Now
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Bring Scarborough Castle to life and let us lead a Discovery Visit for you. Our sessions are interactive, hands-on and immersive and have been specifically designed to meet the needs of different groups across the key stages. Explore what life was like in the Medieval Period, and how the castle was defended during times of conflict.Find out more
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How to book
0370 333 0606
Education opening times
- January to February: Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- March: Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- April to September: Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October: Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- November to December: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00