Warkworth Castle and Hermitage with kids
With imposing stone walls that protected the castle, huge fireplaces where kitchen staff worked over bubbling cauldrons and roasting spits, and restored furnished rooms inside the great tower, step into medieval life at Warkworth Castle.
We've got special activity packs for kids to help them get hands on with history, with rooms, objects and views that the whole family can enjoy and explore.
- Food and drink: Vending machines selling tea, coffee and light snacks on site. Picnics welcome.
- Toilets: There are accessible toilets and baby changing facilities on site.
- Dogs: Dogs are welcome on leads.
- Parking: 48 car parking spaces at the castle, with additional parking in the village.
Travelling In Time
Pick up our activity sheets for kids from the front desk to help the little ones understand castle life. Percy the lion will guide you around the gatehouse to 'discovery sacks', where you can find objects from daily life like a quill and parchment and a horn mug used for drinking ale.
You can also look out for 'smelly cubes' in the beer cellar, latrines and church, which bring the rooms - and the smells - of the castle to life.
While you explore the castle, keep an eye out for some of the highlights:
- Look out for the lion statue on the Lion Tower. The lion was the symbol of the Percy family, the powerful family who owned the castle for over 300 years. You discover the Percy family in the audio guide, which is included in the entry price.
- Walk half a mile up the river to Warkworth Hermitage (which is included in entry to the castle). The ferryman will take you across the river, where you can explore the hermitage carved directly into the rock.
- Explore the Duke's Rooms in the castle keep. Restored in the 1850s, the walls were lined with expensive gold-patterned leather, some of which remains today, giving you a glimpse of the luxurious lifestyle they enjoyed.
Places To Play
There are lots of open areas inside the castle and grounds for children to stretch their legs and play outside.
You can take in the sweeping views across the River Coquet and Northumberland countryside while they reenact the drama or daily life of the medieval castle.Plan Your Visit
More to explore
From Victorian seaside fun and medieval jesters to the drama of jousts and sieges, our family events have something for everyone.
Enjoy unlimited access to over 400 historic places across the country with family membership from £50.
Days out for under £20
Looking for a great experience that won't break the bank? Here are our top picks for family days out on a budget, all across the country.