Supporting our visitors
Are you a people person with a passion for history and a flair for storytelling?
We need volunteers like you to welcome our visitors and bring our heritage sites to life.
Visitor support volunteers are the friendly face of English Heritage. They are some of the first people that visitors meet, and provide a warm welcome, interesting and essential information, and security assistance.
You’ll have a chance to learn all about our amazing heritage sites, get an inside look at how we care for historic places, and meet a wonderful array of people. No day is the same!
What would you be doing?
Every volunteering opportunity is different, but most will include some of these tasks:
- Meet and greet everyone who visits, so that people feel welcome and ready to explore
- Inform visitors of essential information and help them to find their way around
- Explain the history of the site, pointing out fascinating facts and fun, unexpected details
- Lead workshops, talks and tours, so that visitors can get up close to sites and exhibits
- Supervise our properties to make sure everyone is safe and the site secure.
You could even find a costumed role bringing history to life, or care for our donkeys at Carisbrooke Castle.
You could be stationed in a gallery or out in the open at one of our extraordinary archaeological sites, like Stonehenge or Hadrian’s Wall.