There’s so much to see and do during a school visit to Audley End. Let your pupils discover what life was like for the people who lived and worked in this noble 17th century mansion, complete with Victorian Service Wing, Nursery and Stables. Explore the extensive grounds and enjoy the award-winning gardens that were remodelled by Capability Brown.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
This imposing 17th century mansion provides fabulous education opportunities for pupils. Key curriculum links include:
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1-2 Science: Audley End House has a large expanse of formal gardens and parkland to explore. There is also a walled kitchen garden and with greenhouses, which grows a variety of plants, fruit and vegetables
- KS1-4 History: There is a strong collection Royal portraiture on display, with many monarchs being represented, such as Henry VIII and George III
- KS1-4 Art & Design: There is an impressive collection of Old Master paintings and portrait miniatures in the House
- KS2 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509 - 1745
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit and experience parts of the beautiful 17th century mansion, service wing, kitchen garden and grounds. Say hello to our resident horses in the stable block and visit the Coal Gallery, once a hive of activity, as we recreate the hustle and bustle of servants' daily routines. Use our new outdoor learning kit for KS1-4 to explore the different species of trees around the estate and understand how and why the gardens were created. We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking.Enquire now
Expert-Led Discovery Visits
Learn about the life of a Victorian servant: explore the service wing of Audley End and meet Mrs Warwick, housekeeper to the Braybrooke family. To enhance your learning experience, students (and teachers!) are encouraged to come dressed in Victorian costumes.
We aren’t running Discovery Visits at this site at the moment – we’re unable to adapt our session in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up below to be notified when bookings are open.Register your interest
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. Book your visit online. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.