Cover a range of curriculum objectives with a visit to Berry Pomeroy Castle. An impressive Elizabethan mansion built by the Seymour family is nestled into the original 15th century castle defences. Although the family had grand plans for the site, it was abandoned by 1700. Today, Berry Pomeroy Castle provides a snapshot of medieval and Elizabethan history, surrounded by woodland areas to explore.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Visit Berry Pomeroy Castle to support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, and cover multiple topics across the curriculum.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS2 History: A local history study. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: A local history study. Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1745
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free Self-Led Visits
Book a free self-led visit to Berry Pomeroy Castle and organise your day to suit your curriculum objectives. See the original castle defences, and climb the steps to the first floor of the gatehouse to see the beautiful 15th-century wall painting and experience the medieval wall walk. Explore the ruins of the Elizabethan mansion, and imagine what it would have been like to live here as a member of the powerful Seymour family. Don’t miss the woodland areas, with an opportunity to spot wildlife and birds, and learn about different living things in their habitats.Enquire now
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. Book your visit online. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.