Welcome to Birdoswald Roman fort
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you won’t be able to visit without your booking confirmation. If you’re a Member, your ticket will be free, but you still need to book in advance. To book your visit, click the button below.
Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history really happened. And you’ll still be given a warm and safe welcome by our friendly – if socially distant – staff and volunteers.
- Site and fort - All outdoor spaces will be open as usual and access to the wider stretches of Hadrian's Wall is also as usual.
- Museum - The museum will be open with minor restrictions to the interpretation. Number of visitors at any one time will be monitored.
- Café - Take away food and drink will be available. Card payments preferred.
- Shop - The shop will be open.
- Toilets - Our toilets are open as usual.
- Summer Explorer Quest - This summer, from 18 July, take your family on a free fun adventure quest. Download your trail map here.
- Face coverings - Face coverings must be worn in Birdoswald's indoor shop, café and all other indoor spaces. We won't be able to give you a face covering so please come prepared so you don't miss out.
Find out what Facilities are available for your day out.
Here you can find out everything you need to know about parking, toilets and shopping at Birdoswald Roman Fort, as well as other useful information.
Look up Access information for your visit. We have detailed information about what to expect if you have particular needs regarding:
- Mobility/Older Visitors
- Blind/Visually Impaired
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Learning Difficulties
- Health and Safety
Find out what you need to know for Group Visits.
Look up what discounts there are for groups, as well as how to book your group visit, and see information about tours that may be available.