Please note that whilst many of our Free to Enter Sites have remained open in recent months, and some others are now reopening, it remains necessary to keep Clifton Hall closed to the public. This is in order to protect visitors, staff and volunteers.
This 15th-century tower, the sole surviving part of the manor house of the Wybergh family, was plundered by Jacobites in 1745 before the Battle of Clifton Moor, the last battle fought on English soil.
Read more about the history of Clifton Hall.
Before You Go
Access: There is no dedicated car park at Clifton Hall. Access through the farm to the site is on foot only.
Parking: Parking is available in Clifton village. There is a small car park on the other side of the road next to the church.
Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome.
Other Information: Clifton Hall sits within a working farm - please do not park in front of the farm gates or block the farm track.
Plan a Great Day Out
Nearby Brougham Castle was once a formidable barrier against Scots invaders and a prestigious residence of the powerful Clifford family. Today the remains of the castle are picturesquely sited by the River Eamont. There is a shop selling gifts, drinks and snacks.