Kenilworth Castle has been a major military stronghold, a royal palace, and an inspiration to writers and artists. It's the perfect destination to bring learning outside of the classroom and cover a wide range of curriculum subjects.
It was really good, I enjoyed it all. We had a great day. The staff leading the session were fantastic. I want to go again - we're booking for next year!
- KS1, 2 & 3 : Local history study
- KS1 : How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- KS2 : How several aspects of national history are reflected in the locality; history of a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- KS3 : The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509, Europe and the wider world from 1901 to the present day
- KS4 : Current GCSE frameworks and study of the historic environment
FREE SELF-LED VISITS
Book a free education visit and lead your own visit in your own way. We have plenty of online resources available to download and use in the classroom before, during and after your visit - see our resources section below.
EXPERT-LED DISCOVERY VISITS
Let us help you inspire your students with our hands-on expert led Discovery Visits delivered by one of our experts and great value for up to 30 students.
- LIFE IN A CASTLE (KS1, £100 per class): Investigate the castle, finding evidence that it was once a home for many people. How does it differ to the way we live today? Duration: 1 1/4 hours
- MEDIEVAL REALMS (KS2-3, £200 per class): Tour the outer curtain wall and inner bailey with your guide and discover how the castle was attacked and defended, looking at the great siege of 1266. Suitable for up to two classes. Duration: full day
- GCSE Tour (KS4, £100 per class): Developed to support your study of the historic environment for GCSE History, this castle tour meets aspects of the requirements for OCR History A or B. Duration: 1 1/4 hours
facilities for learning groups
- PARKING: Car park with coach parking opposite entrance
- EXHIBITION: Detailing the history of the castle can be found in the stables, next to the tearoom.
- SHOP: Gift shop on-site, we recommend you bring your class in small groups at a time
- LUNCH: Outdoor lunch space available.
- TOILETS: Unisex toilet located in Leicester's Gatehouse.
- LEICESTER'S GATEHOUSE: Booking available for Leicester's Gatehouse, with access to viewing platforms in Leicester's Building, supervision ratio of 1:6