Book a visit to Orford Castle to bring medieval history to life. Explore from the basement, through the lower and upper halls, to the roof, where there are magnificent views towards Orford Ness.
Bring the curriculum to life at Orford Castle:
- KS1-3 History: Local History study. Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS1-2 Geography: Understand where Orford Castle was built, and why its location was so important to king Henry II
- KS1-KS2 Drama: Links between the building and people who used it through various role play
- KS2 History: Extend pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2-3 Geography: Place Orford Castle in its geographical context
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509; The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509 -1745
- KS3 Maths, Design & Technology: Understand that Orford Castle’s shape was carefully designed using simple geometry
- KS4 History: OCR Specification A; study of the historic environment: ‘Castles: Form and Function c.1000-1750’
Free self-led visits
Bring learning to life and book your free self-led visit to Orford Castle, to discover one of England's best preserved and most unique keeps. Explore from the basement to the roof, and follow a maze of passages leading to the chapel, kitchen and other chambers in the turrets, to imagine what life was like in a medieval castle. Learn more about local history in the Orford Museum, located upstairs in the castle.Enquire now
From early Norman motte and bailey castles to sophisticated medieval structures: watch this animation to discover how castles developed and why they were as much about status as defence.
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. You can find all our site-specific information and tools below, and for Covid-19 risk assessments and measures we’ve got in place please visit our what to expect page.
Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip. We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Visit our bookings page to start planning your trip!
0370 333 0606
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch using the online form on our bookings page to speak to your local Education Visits Officer. We look forward to seeing you soon.